Caring Counselors | Aggressive Litigators Free Initial Consultation

Divorce, Support and Child Custody Enforcement and Modification

Whether your divorce decree or child support order was originally entered in San Diego, elsewhere in California, or in another state, you may later need to enforce or modify it. If you, your former spouse, or your child is a resident of San Diego County or a nearby community, the attorneys of Shaffer & Associates can help you with post-judgment modification or enforcement of the terms of the original order.

Enforcement of a divorce decree may include seeking a California court's help in requiring your former spouse to make alimony or spousal support payments, to make child support payments, to return certain property to you, or to allow you to visit your children according to your custody and parenting time schedule.

Post-judgment modification of a divorce, custody or support order involves asking the court to change the terms of an original order because of a change in circumstances. For example, you may seek modification of a child support order because your income has changed. You may seek modification of child custody or visitation orders for many reasons, including because you or your ex plans to move or because you are concerned about your child's safety with your ex.

The divorce and family law attorneys of Shaffer & Associates have years of experience successfully petitioning California courts to enforce and modify divorce, support, and custody orders. We will explain the legal standards that apply to your situation and discuss the options available to you under California law. Even if we didn’t represent you in your original divorce or custody proceedings, we can guide you through the process of modification or enforcement of prior orders.

We invite you to learn more about enforcement and modification of judgments. Or contact Shaffer & Associates for more information about how we can help.

Shaffer & Associates is dedicated to helping people all across San Diego County, including Downtown San Diego, Point Loma, La Jolla, Scripps Ranch, Del Mar, Rancho Santa Fe, Carlsbad, Rancho Bernardo and Poway. We also work with families in Orange County, Riverside County and Los Angeles County.

Judgment Enforcement

Judges make rulings in divorce and other family law proceedings, but often people fail to follow court orders. It is sometimes necessary to return to court to ask for help enforcing court orders. You may need legal help to enforce orders to pay debts… Read More

Post Judgment Modification

Life constantly changes in the years after a family law matter is resolved and, as a result, earlier support or custody orders may no longer suit your family’s needs. A significant change in circumstances may make existing child custody, parent… Read More

San Diego Bar AssociationSection of Family LawCalifornia State Bar Family Law American Bar Association Avvo Clients' Choice 2014